The first time we made these we brought them to a century ride to share with cyclists who stopped by our booth. They got rave reviews and so we wanted to share them with you. They are so easy to make. We are sure you will love them as much as our cyclist taste testers did.
- 1 packed cup date paste or chopped dates
- 1/4 cup honey (optional we prefer without)
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds or flax seeds ground
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (our favorite is Penzey’s Vietnamese Cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (dry, not cooked)
- 1 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or sliced almonds
If using, chopped dates combine the dates, honey, chia (or flax) seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a food processor and pulse until smooth and combined. If using date paste add straight into a bowl.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and stir in the oats, coconut flakes, and pepitas/almonds until evenly combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Use a spoon or your fingers to shape into your desired size of energy balls. We shape ours into about 1-inch balls. Prefer to make bars? Line a small 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper, and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Refrigerate and for 2 hours or overnight and then cut into bars.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Tip: Swap pepitas/almonds for walnuts or cashews. Swap coconut for chocolate chips. Truly the sky is the limit.